| Dhaka, Tuesday, 16 April 2024

4 novice mother die  after caesarean

Update : 2015-09-01 11:27:23
4 novice mother die  after caesarean

A total of four new mothers died in succession and five others are in critical condition after they underwent caesarean sections by doctors at a Jhenaidah clinic in a span of 40 days.

The incidents took place at Janani Clinic in Bhairaba bazaar under Moheshpur upazila of the district.

The deceased were Rupa Khatun, 20, wife of Akter Ali from Jagusa village; Arifa Khatun, 18, wife of Abdus Samad from Anantapur village; Bithi Khatun, 20, wife of Nazmul Islam from Krishnachandrapur village, and Saleha Begum, 26, wife of Yunus Ali from Barandi village of Jibannagar upazila.

The victims had similar kind of symptoms before their death. They started complaining of high fever after a short time of giving birth to their children. Each one of them was admitted to the clinic and hospitals with high fever but none could survive.

When asked about this, civil surgeon Md Abdus Salam told Prothom Alo that he had paid a visit to the clinic after coming across the news of four mothers’ death.

While visiting the clinic, Abdus Salam did not find any anaesthesia equipment for inducing unconsciousness, and autoclaving machine for washing and sterilising surgical tools.

According to the civil surgeon, the new mothers might have died of infection as he saw piled up garbage in the operation theatre of the clinic.

A probe committee has been formed to investigate the incidents and the clinic is now shut off but its owner Md Mominur Rahman is now absconding, said Abdus Salam.

Two public hospital doctors used to conduct surgeries in the private clinic. They are Golam Rahman, a health official of family planning directorate, and Md Asaduzzaman, a doctor recruited through the 33rd BCS.

These two doctors, who work in government hospitals, are yet to inform anything about the deaths, said Abdus Salam.

The civil surgeon told Prothom Alo that steps will be taken to look into the reasons why these two doctors conducted caesarean sections in such an operation theatre where operation cannot be run at any cost.

Owner of the clinic, Mominur Rahman alias Khokon, could be contacted through mobile phone. He claimed, “My clinic is the best one in my locality. The clinic had never had any bad reputation. The problem could have been in anesthesia equipment or the patients might have had other complications.”

Abu Bakkar, father of one of the victims, Rupa, said that his daughter underwent a caesarean section on Eid day. After giving birth to a child, Rupa came back home after a week. However, she started suffering from high fever after coming home. She was admitted to a Jessore hospital as Janani clinic failed to cure her. Later, Rupa was shifted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital but she died on 19 August.

“I spent Tk 1.5 lakh but could not save my daughter. I don’t know what will happen to Rupa’s newborn,” Abu Bakkar added.

Golam Rahman, the doctor conducted the operation, told Prothom Alo, “The incident might have happened for not washing and sterilising surgery equipment properly. Therefore, the new mothers have been showing symptoms of meningitis and dying.”

“I cannot say about the other patients who are suffering from the same problem,” Golam Rahman added.

Bithi Khatun breathed her last on 27 August at Khulna hospital, Saleha Begum and Arifa Khatun on 24 July.

A total of four new mothers, who are taking treatment in different hospitals after having caesarean section in the Janani Clinic, could be identified. They are Nargis Khatun, 21, wife of Anisur Rahman from Hudapara village, Parul Khatun, 25, wife of Jahrul Islam from Mailbaria village, Khairunnesa, 24, wife of Nazrul Islam from Panchpota village, and Umme Salma, daughter of Ali Kader Mollah from Garapota village.

Moheshpur police station officer-in-charge, Shahidul Islam Shahin, confirmed the deaths of new mothers, saying that they are yet to get any legal complaint from the relatives of the victims. We’ll take action if we get the complaint, he said.

Contacted, director general of the Directorate General of Health Services Deen Mohammad Nurul Haque told Prothom Alo that he was unaware of the deaths until 5:00pm Monday.

However, Nurul Haque assured of looking into the incidents.

User Comments:

Bangladesh Latest News

Bangladesh All News